ACC: Abiomed's Balloon Demonstrates Life of Over 8 Million Cycles
The intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) is an minimally invasive technology designed to enhance blood flow to the heart and other organs for patients with diminished heart function.
During FDA testing, the new balloon was subject to extensive reliability testing and successfully demonstrated a life of over eight million cycles, which equates to more than 90 days of continuous operation. The 8F IABP is inserted percutaneously into a patient’s descending aorta and inflates and deflates in counterpulsation to a patient’s heart rhythm.
More like this
- Maquet Awarded Three-Year IABP Contract From Premier Healthcare Alliance
- Arrow Issues Class I Recall of Intra-Aortic Balloon Catheters
- Balloon Demonstrates Life of Over 8 Million Cycles
- Maquet Introduces Cardiosave IABP at TCT
- Study Finds Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Therapy May Not be Useful in STEMI Patients