March 27, 2013 — Biotronik received CE mark for its most advanced ICD/CRT-D (implantable cardioverter defibrillator/cardiac resynchronization therapy device) series. Iforia is the world’s first DF4 ICD/CRT-D series approved for MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). In addition it contains one of the world’s smallest ICDs, the Iforia single chamber ICD.
Aside from featuring ProMRI technology, which allows patients to undergo potentially life-saving MRI scans, Iforia also includes the industry standard DF4 connector system, which is designed to simplify and shorten the implantation procedure. The DF4 connector combines the traditional three connectors into one, allowing for a more convenient implantation procedure without compromising safety.
One of the first implanters, Ching Chi Keong, M.D., of National Heart Centre Singapore, said, “With the Iforia series I can provide my patients with a small and highly reliable ICD and CRT-D series. It includes an impressive range of state-of-the-art innovations including ProMRI and home monitoring. In addition the DF4 technology simplifies the implantation procedure, while the small size of the device makes it more comfortable for the patient and also leads to a better cosmetic result.”
The Iforia series is one of the smallest ICDs and CRT-Ds on the market. In addition the Iforia single chamber ICD has a longevity of more than 11 years and the Iforia CRT-D of more than seven years. This allows for a low replacement rate, benefitting both patients and the healthcare system.
“Safety and reliability are the foundation of all of our new technologies and innovations,” said Christoph Böhmer, president international of Biotronik. “Iforia offers enhanced diagnostic possibilities with the highest reliability and unsurpassed longevity... The new Iforia series combined with ProMRI and Biotronik Home Monitoring offers physicians and patients the best combination of reliability and innovation.”
The European market release of the Iforia series is expected in mid-2013. The first implanters of Biotronik's Iforia ICDs and CRT-Ds are:
- Prof. Dr. Steffen Behrens, Vivantes Humboldt Hospital Berlin, Germany;
- Ching Chi Keong, M.D., National Heart Centre Singapore, Singapore;
- Dr. Thomas Faber, University Heart Centre Freiburg, Germany;
- Prof. Dr. Stephan B. Felix and Dr. Mathias Busch, University Hospital Greifswald, Germany;
- Dr. Peter Lercher and Dr. Günther Prenner, LKH-University Clinic Graz, Austria;
- Abdulmohsen al Musaad, M.D., National Guard Health Affairs Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia;
- Dr. Antti Ylitalo and Dr. Tuomas Paana, Satakunta Central Hospital, Pori, Finland.
For more information: www.biotronik.com