First Implant Gets PROMUS Stent Rolling in Europe
Jan. 15, 2007 — Boston Scientific Corp. has announced the international launch and first implantation of the PROMUS everolimus-eluting stent, making Boston Scientific the only company to offer two distinct drug-eluting stent (DES) platforms.
PROMUS is a private-labeled XIENCE V everolimus-eluting coronary stent system manufactured by Abbott and distributed by Boston Scientific. The device received CE Mark approval in October 2006, which allows Boston Scientific to distribute the stent in select countries of the European Economic Area. It will also be available in selected countries in Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. A U.S. launch is planned for 2008.
Dr. Willibald Maier performed the procedure on Dec. 21, 2006 at University Hospital in Zürich, Switzerland, marking the first implantation of the PROMUS Stent.
“I am excited to have been a part of the first use of Boston Scientific’s new drug-eluting stent,” said Dr. Maier. “The PROMUS Stent provides patients a treatment option that offers an Olimus drug on a highly deliverable platform, and we are pleased to have it available for our patients.”
More like this
- Boston Scientific Features New Everolimus-Eluting Coronary Stent
- Boston Scientific, Abbott Offer New Everolimus-Eluting Coronary Stents
- Boston Scientific Offers PROMUS Everolimus-Eluting Coronary Stent System
- Boston Scientific to Market Abbott DES Abroad
- Stent Approved for Diabetic and Heart Attack Patients