Innovative Technology Selected as Finalists in 2012 Medical Design Excellence Awards
April 12, 2012 — Several innovative cardiovascular and radiology technologies were featured in Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry (MD+DI) magazine’s April issue, which also announced the finalists in the 2012 Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA) competition.
Sponsored by MD+DI and organized by UBM Canon, MDEA is the premier awards program for the medical technology community. It recognizes the achievements of medical device manufacturers, their suppliers and the many people behind the scenes — engineers, scientists, designers and clinicians — who are responsible for innovations in healthcare. MDEA-finalist and winning entries excel in the areas of product innovation, design and engineering achievement, end-user benefit, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing and healthcare delivery.
The finalists by category include:
Radiological and Electromechanical Devices
- BodyTom portable full-body multi-slice computed tomography (CT) scanner. Manufactured and submitted by NeuroLogica Corp., Danvers, Mass.
- Carestream CS 7600 imaging plate system. Manufactured and submitted by Carestream Health Inc., Rochester, N.Y.
- DermScope imaging accessory for the iPhone. Manufactured by Canfield Scientific Inc., Fairfield, N.J.; submitted by HS Design Inc., Gladstone, N.J.
- Nomad Pro handheld X-ray system. Manufactured by Aribex Inc., Orem, Utah; submitted by IQMS, Paso Robles, Calif.
- Planmed Verity extremity scanner. Manufactured and submitted by Planmed Oy, Helsinki, Finland.
Critical-Care and Emergency Medicine Products
- Cardiohelp System for circulatory and pulmonary support. Manufactured by Maquet Medical Systems USA, Wayne, N.J.; submitted by WCG, New York.
- endOclear wiper device for the cleaning and visualization of endotracheal tubes. Manufactured by EndOclear LLC, San Ramon, Calif.; submitted by Innovative Design LLC, Danvill, Calif.
- The Freedom portable driver. Manufactured and submitted by SynCardia Systems Inc., Tucson, Ariz.
- King Vision video laryngoscope. Manufactured and submitted by King Systems, Noblesville, Ind.
- LS-1 "suitcase" intensive care unit. Manufactured and submitted by Integrated Medical Systems Inc., Signal Hill, Calif.
- ProSim 4 vital signs simulator. Manufactured and submitted by Fluke Biomedical, Everett, Wash.
Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products
- ConforMIS iTotal CR knee replacement system. Manufactured by ConforMIS Inc., Burlington, Mass.; submitted by Racepoint Group, Waltham, Mass.
- Gore hybrid vascular graft. Manufactured and submitted by W. L. Gore & Associates Inc., Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Kamra Corneal Inlay. Manufactured and submitted by AcuFocus Inc., Irvine, Calif.
Surgical Equipment, Instruments and Supplies
- The ActiViews CT-Guide navigation system. Manufactured and submitted by ActiViews Inc., Wakefield, Mass.
- Alair Catheter for Bronchial Thermoplasty procedures. Manufactured by Asthmatx, Sunnyvale, Calif.; submitted by Bridge Design, San Francisco.
- Catalys precision laser system. Manufactured and submitted by OptiMedica Corp., Santa Clara, Calif.
- EndoSerter corneal endothelial delivery instrument. Manufactured by Ocular Systems Inc., Winston-Salem, N.C.; submitted by Cathtek, Winston Salem, N.C.
- FMwand ferromagnetic surgical system. Manufactured and submitted by Domain Surgical, Salt Lake City.
Winning products will be announced at the MDEA Presentation Ceremony held Wednesday, May 23, 2012, in conjunction with the MD&M East Event.
For more information: www.MDMEast.com