Maquet Expands Cardiology Offerings With Acquisition of Atrium Medical
October 3, 2011 – Maquet Cardiovascular has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Atrium Medical Corp. for $680 million. Atrium is a medical device technologies developer for interventional cardiology and radiology, chest trauma care and thoracic drainage, vascular surgery and general surgery. Atrium will operate as an independent, self-contained business unit of Maquet and will be led by current Atrium president Trevor Carlton.
The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter of 2011, subject to U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) approval.
In the United States, Atrium is known for its ClearWay RX perfusion catheter, which delivers therapeutic agents via a balloon catheter, and is developing both coronary and peripheral stents. The company currently has a U.S. trial investigating the use of a balloon-expandable covered stent occlusive disease of the iliac artery.
Maquet offers devices for advanced surgical interventions, cardiovascular procedures and critical care. It develops and designs innovative products and therapeutic applications for the operating room, hybrid OR/cath lab, intensive care unit and patient transport. Cardiovascular specialties include intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation (IABC) therapy for cardiac assist; coronary artery bypass surgery; aortic and peripheral vascular surgery; and extracorporeal circulation.
For more information: www.atriummed.com, www.maquet.com
More like this
- Maquet Expands Cardiology Offerings With Acquisition of Atrium Medical
- FDA Develops Regulations for Intra-aortic Balloon Pumps 40 Years After Their Introduction
- Costs Comparable Per Patient Between Impella and Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump at 90 Days
- Study Finds Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump Therapy May Not be Useful in STEMI Patients
- Maquet Datascope Recalls Intra-Aortic Balloon Pumps