New Category I CPT Codes for Impella Announced by AMA
September 18, 2012 — Abiomed Inc. announced it received confirmation from the American Medical Association (AMA) of three new Category I Current Procedure Terminology (CPT) codes for Impella percutaneous technologies, effective January 2013.
The process for obtaining Category I CPT codes for percutaneous ventricular assist devices (PVAD) began in 2011, under the leadership of the Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions (SCAI), the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the Heart Rhythm Society (HRS), and was based on a thorough review of clinical efficacy in published, peer-reviewed literature and usage trends.
As forecasted by Abiomed, there are three individual new CPT codes created that will apply to the insertion, repositioning and removal of Impella percutaneous devices.
"The creation of these newly listed CPT codes, coupled with the updated clinical guidelines from November 2011 and recent PROTECT II publication in Circulation, is generating further momentum for Impella platform adoption," said Michael R. Minogue, chairman, president and CEO of Abiomed.
In November 2012, SCAI, ACC and HRS will provide more details on the valuation and payment of the specific codes.
For more information: www.abiomed.com
More like this
- Bronchial Thermoplasty Awarded Category I CPT Procedure Codes
- AMA Approves New CPT Code for Electronic Brachytherapy’s Treatment of Early Stage Breast Cancer
- Abiomed Receives FDA Clearance For Higher Flow Impella Heart Pump
- Medipattern, HealthCareIQ Team Up to Support Reimbursement Process for B-CAD
- CardioNet System Receives Category I CPT Codes and Reimbursement Rates