Shape-HF Show Favorable Results With Heart-Failure Patient
October 14, 2009 — During the Chicago Heart Failure Forum, Abraham Kocheril, M.D., professor of Medicine and director of clinical electrophysiology at the University of Illinois at Chicago, together with Thomas Stamos, M.D., director of heart failure at the University of Illinois Medical Center, presented a heart failure patient case study in which the Shape-HF Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing System was used to optimize cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) to a group of leading physicians and nurses from the heart failure programs in the greater Chicago area.
The patient had long-standing cardiomyopathy and had received a pacemaker for heart block. She was later upgraded to a CRT-D because of symptomatic heart failure and poor left ventricular function. The patient's exertion tolerance was limited by dyspnea. Kocheril used the Shape-HF device to optimize the patient's cardiac resynchronization therapy with favorable results.
Shape-HF is the first device to objectively measure cardiopulmonary gas exchange easily and quickly without undue strain on the patient.
The CRT response rate in heart failure patients is about 70 percent. The Shape-HF System is likely to help us get the remaining 30 percent feeling better — those we call non-responders — because it lets us objectively measure response to CRT and optimize timing between the atrium and the two ventricles of the heart in real time while the patient is exercising.
Developed by Shape Medical Systems Inc., the Shape-HF is a noninvasive medical device that assesses heart-lung interaction and ventilation in patients with chronic heart failure and other cardiopulmonary disease. It is the first gas exchange testing device specifically designed for cardiology and uses low intensity, submaximal or steady state testing protocols to allow testing of even high-risk patients with little or no discomfort.
Designed to quantify the severity of dyspnea on exertion and fatigue and evaluate the physiological interaction between the heart, lungs, and other organ systems, making it possible for the physician to assess therapy options for the individual patient and track patient progress. In addition to being the first and only device that objectively measures cardiopulmonary gas exchange easily and quickly without undue strain on the patient, Shape-HF provides real-time physiological assessment to enable CRT optimization during exercise and is cost-effective and easy to use.
For more information: www.shapemedsystems.com
More like this
- University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago First Hospital to Install Innovative Shape-HF Cardiopulmonary Testing System
- Shape-HF Cardiopulmonary Testing System Validated in Mayo Clinic Study
- New Device Measures Patient Physiology to Define Dypsnea
- Low-Intensity Exercise Expired Gas Analysis May Determine Cardiac Stability in HF
- Study Finds Ventilatory Efficiency More Accurately IDs Heart Transplant Candidates