Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation: Vitamins, Minerals, Nutrients, and More
Fri, Nov. 13, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. CST
• State of the Science: The 4 Pillars of Heart Failure Therapy. Presented by Marc Pfeffer, M.D.
• Omecamtiv Mecarbil in Chronic Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: The Global Approach to Lowering Adverse Cardiac Outcomes Through Improving Contractility in Heart Failure (GALACTIC-HF) Trial. Presented by John Teerlink, M.D.
• Ferric Carboxymaltose in Iron Deficient Patients Admitted for Acute Heart Failure (AFFIRM-AHF). Presented by Piotr Ponikowski, Ph.D.
• The Vital Rhythm Trial: Omega-3 Fatty Acid and Vitamin D Supplementation in the Primary Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation (VITAL-Rhythm). Presented by Christine Albert, M.D.
Bending the Curve for CV Disease - Precision or PolyPill?
Fri, Nov. 13 Noon - 1 p.m. CST
• State of the Science: Global CVD Prevention. Presented by Dorairaj Prabhakaran, M.D.
Current Challenges in Coronary and Valve Disease
Sat, Nov. 14, Noon - 1 p.m. CS
• Ticagrelor versus Clopidogrel in Elective Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: The ALPHEUS Trial. Presented by Johanne Silvain, M.D.
• Coronary OCT and Cardiac MRI to Determine Underlying Causes of MINOCA in Women (HARP-MINOCA). Presented by Harmony Reynolds, M.D.
• Rivaroxaban versus Warfarin in Patients With Bioprosthetic Mitral Valves and Atrial Fibrillation or Flutter: Primary Results From the RIVER Randomized Trial. Presented by Otavio Berwanger, M.D.
Fish Oil, Fancy Drugs, and Frustrations in Lipid Management
Sun, Nov. 15, 9 - 10 a.m. CST
• STRENGTH Trial: Cardiovascular Outcomes With Omega-3 Carboxylic Acids (Epanova) in Patients With High Vascular Risk and Atherogenic Dyslipidemia. Presented by A. Lincoff, M.D.
• Effects of N-3 Fatty Acid Supplements on Clinical Outcome After Myocardial Infarction in The Elderly: Results of the OMEMI Trial. Presented by Are Annesoenn Kalstad, M.D.
• A Three-arm N-of-1 Trial With Statin, Placebo and Tablet Free Periods, to Verify Side Effects and Identify Their Cause: The SAMSON Trial. Presented by James Philip Howard, M.D.
• The Efficacy and Safety of Evinacumab in Patients With Refractory Hypercholesterolemia. Presented by Robert S. Rosenson, M.D.
Stents, Valves and Clots
Sun, Nov. 15, 7:15 - 8:30 p.m. CST
• A Prospective Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial Assessing the Safety and Efficacy of the BuMA Supreme Biodegradable Drug Coated Coronary Stent System in Patients With Stable or Non-ST Elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes: Primary Endpoint Results of the PIONEER III Trial. Presented by Alexandra Lansky, M.D.
• One Month Dual Antipletelet Therapy Followed by Aspirin Monotherapy After Drug Eluting Stent Implantation. Presented by Myeong-Ki Hong, M.D.
To Screen or Not to Screen, and then What? Studies of Detection and Treatment of AF
Mon, Nov. 16, 9 - 10 a.m. CST
• State of the Science: Screening for AF. Presented by Rod Passman, M.D.
• Enhanced Monitoring for Atrial Fibrillation Following Cardiac Surgery: Primary Results of the SEARCH-AF Cardiolink Randomized Trial. Presented by Subodh Verma, M.D.
• Screening for Atrial Fibrillation in Older Adults at Primary Care Visits Using Single Lead Electrocardiograms: The VITAL-AF Trial. Presented Steven A. Lubitz, M.D.
• 3-year Clinical Outcomes in a Nationwide, Randomized, Pragmatic Clinical Trial of Atrial Fibrillation Screening - Mhealth Screening to Prevent Strokes (MSTOPS) using a wearable cardiac monitor. Presented by Steven R Steinhubl, M.D.
• Early Invasive Intervention for Atrial Fibrillation With Cryoablation (EARLY-AF). Presented by Jason Andrade.
Randomized Trials – Brain, Kidney, and Heart
Mon, Nov. 16, 7 - 8:30 p.m. CST
• Finerenone and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease and Type 2 Diabetes (FIDELIO-DKD). Presented by Gerasimos Filippatos, M.D.
• Ticagrelor Added to Aspirin in Acute Ischemic Stroke or Tia of Atherosclerotic Origin (THALES). Presented by Pierre Amarenco, M.D.
• Rapid Assessment of Potential Ischaemic Heart Disease With CTCA: The Rapid-CTCA Trial. A Randomised Trial of CTCA in the Evaluation, Intervention and Outcome Of adults With Suspected or Confirmed Acute Coronary Syndrome Presenting to the Emergency Department (RAPID-CTCA). Presented by Alasdair Gray, M.D.
• SOLOIST-WHF: Sotagliflozin in Diabetes Patients with Recent Worsening Heart Failure. Presented by Deepak Bhatt, M.D.
• SCORED: Sotagliflozin in Patients with Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease. Presented by Deepak Bhatt, M.D.
AHA Goes Viral: COVID-19, Influenza Vaccines, and Cardiovascular Disease
Tue, Nov. 17, 9 - 10 a.m. CST
• The AHA COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry: Design, Implementation, and Initial Results. Presented by James A. De Lemos, M.D.
• Racial and Ethnic Differences in Treatment and Outcomes for Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19: Findings from the American Heart Association COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry. Presented by Fatima Rodriguez, M.D.
• Association of Body Mass Index with Death, Mechanical Ventilation, and Cardiovascular Outcomes in COVID-19: Findings from the AHA COVID-19 Cardiovascular Disease Registry. Presented by Nicholas Hendren, M.D.
• Impact of Cardiovascular Disease on Outcomes Among Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: Results From >14,000 Patients Across the United States. Presented by Ann Marie Navar, M.D.
• High Dose versus Standard Dose Influenza Vaccine in Patients With High Risk Cardiovascular Disease: Results From the INVESTED Trial. Presented by Orly Vardeny, M.D.
High Tech or High Touch: Creative Strategies to Optimize Patient Care
Tue, Nov. 17, Noon - 1 p.m. CST
• Translating Guidelines into Practice, Presented by Mark D. Huffman, M.D.
• An Electronically Delivered, Patient-activation Tool for Intensification of Medications for Chronic Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: The EPIC-HF Trial. Presented by Larry A. Allen, M.D.
• My Recorded On-demand Audio Discharge Instructions (MyRoad) in Heart Failure. Presented by Nancy M. Albert, M.D.
• Digital Care Transformation: One-year Report Of >5,000 Patients Enrolled An A Remote Algorithm-based CV Risk Management Program To Achieve Optimal Lipid And Hypertension Control. Presented by Benjamin M. Scirica, M.D.
• Group Medical Visits and Microfinance for Patients With Diabetes and Hypertension in Western Kenya: Results of the BIGPIC Trial. Presented by Rajesh Vedanthan, M.D.
Other AHA 2020 News:
VIDEO: Lingering Myocardial Involvement After COVID-19 Infection — Interview with Aaron Baggish, M.D.