June 17, 2014 — A total of 16 pioneering medical innovations were showcased in front of approximately 4,000 healthcare providers and experts at Premier Inc.'s sixth annual Innovation Celebration: the world's first and only intravenous implantable cardiac defibrillator (ICD); an advanced mammography technology resulting in more precise, faster and lower-dose exams; a crib mattress helping to reduce pressure ulcers in toddlers; healthcare's smallest heart monitor for diagnosing irregular heartbeats; and a portable, cellular medication adherence and delivery system.
A key element of Premier's annual Breakthroughs Conference and Exhibition, held in San Antonio, the Innovation Celebration recognizes industry suppliers committed to innovation and their advances that can improve patient outcomes and efficiencies. All innovations were selected by a committee of healthcare clinicians and other Premier hospital members based on their uniqueness, ability to have an impact on unmet medical needs and potential to improve patient care.
"The Innovation Celebration exemplifies Premier's commitment to bringing groundbreaking solutions to the marketplace for use by the nation's leading health systems," said Durral R. Gilbert, Premier's president of supply chain services. "Innovation Celebration participants share this commitment. Through the event, our members have been introduced to approximately 700 new solutions and have selected more than 100 to highlight. We believe these safe, high-quality and cost-effective innovations can significantly benefit care providers and the patients they serve."
Any supplier, regardless of whether the company is contracted with Premier, can be considered for participation in the Innovation Celebration. Overall, Premier contracts with more than 1,100 suppliers.
2014 Innovation Celebration participants are:
- Allergan Inc.: Seri surgical scaffold
- Boston Scientific: S-ICD system
- Carebone: Hope crutch
- Dava Medicals Inc.: The MedPod
- Endochoice: Fuse endoscopy system
- GE Healthcare: Critikon Radial-Cuf and Silent Scan
- Hologic: Affirm 3-D-guided breast biopsy, C-View software option
- Kentec Medical Inc./Ameritus Medical Products: Hummi micro-draw blood transfer device
- Medtronic: Reveal Linq insertable cardiac monitoring system
- Olympus America: Endoeye Flex 3D
- Sizewise: Pediatric Pulse
- SuperSonic Imagine: Aixplorer
- Teleflex: ISO-Gard Mask with ClearAir technology
- Universal Hospital Services: OnCare VitalGo total lift bed
For more information: www.premierinc.com/breakthroughs/innovation-celebration-2014/