January 3, 2022 — The following is a list of the 2021 news stories from the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) releases that saw the most media coverage worldwide. These include lifestyle stories and the latest science published in ESC journals and presented at ESC Congress. Heart failure was also a hot topic, including ESC Guidelines on heart failure management.
1. Bedtime linked with heart health (European Heart Journal – Digital Health)
2. Light-to-moderate coffee drinking associated with health benefits (ESC Congress)
3. Trial reports first successful results for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (ESC Congress)
4. Mediterranean diet shows promise in men with erectile dysfunction (ESC Congress)
5. Drinking sufficient water could prevent heart failure (ESC Congress)
6. Being fat linked with worse heart health even in people who exercise (European Journal of Preventive Cardiology)
7. Low-sodium salt prevents stroke (ESC Congress)
8. Aspirin is linked with increased risk of heart failure (ESC Heart Failure)
9. Study suggests women find it more difficult to quit smoking than men (ESC Congress)
10. ESC Guidelines on heart failure management (ESC Congress; European Heart Journal)
Check out all 2021 ESC press releases here.