September 19, 2018 — Abiomed Inc. announces its initiatives at the 30th Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) conference will highlight the recently expanded U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) indications for high-risk percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) and cardiogenic shock. Initiatives will also highlight Protected PCI’s ability to allow for more complete revascularization, which improves outcomes1 and quality of life2,3. More than 30 presentations as well as live cases featuring Impella heart pumps are expected at TCT 2018, taking place Sept. 21-25 in San Diego, California.
New for TCT 2018, Abiomed’s booth will feature a cath lab experience with demonstrations and simulations of advancements including:
- Abiomed’s augmented reality simulator which provides hands-on experience with the Impella RP and the newly FDA approved Impella CP with SmartAssist, which includes hemodynamic sensors to intelligently position and manage the device;
- Simulations of Impella CP with SmartAssist’s real-time informational displays of new hemodynamic metrics; and
- Live demonstrations of Abiomed’s latest innovation, Impella Connect, which provides real-time information in the cloud to connect remote support resources.
In the hemodynamic support and patient management pavilion, Abiomed is hosting practical, hands-on workshops on large bore access and closure, advanced hemodynamics, best practices in cardiogenic shock and complex Protected PCI strategies.
A breakfast symposium on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 6:30 a.m. will feature data on Abiomed’s FDA approval for cardiogenic shock associated with cardiomyopathy, including peripartum and postpartum cardiomyopathy. Faculty will also discuss the role of ventricular unloading and the latest results from the National Cardiogenic Shock Initiative (NCSI). Initial NCSI data showed 76 percent survival and 100 percent native heart recovery when the NCSI protocol and best practices were used.
Protected PCI with Impella allows for more complete revascularization, which improves outcomes and quality of life. Abiomed anticipates the broadcast of several elective high-risk PCI live cases using hemodynamic support with the Impella heart pump.
The schedule for Protected PCI and cardiogenic shock related TCT symposia is included below.
Saturday, Sept. 22
Co-sponsored Symposium:New Treatment Strategies for Cardiogenic Shock: Impella Expanded Indications
6:30–8:00 a.m. | Room 23 B-C
- Cindy Grines, M.D.: Advances in the Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease in Women: PCI, MI, Shock, Myocarditis, SCAD and Post-partum Cardiomyopathy
- William O’Neill, M.D.: The Impact of The Cardiogenic Shock Initiative (NCSI): One Year Later
- Navin Kapur, M.D.: Understanding the Importance of Ventricular Unloading in Management of AMI and Cardiogenic Shock
Presentation Theater Program: Contrast-Induced Acute Kidney Injury – Preventive Measures That Work
Saturday, Sept. 22 | 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
San Diego Convention Center, Presentation Theater 2, Hall B2, Ground Level
CHIP Angiogram Review: What’s New with Focused Case Presentations
Saturday, Sept. 22 | 6:30–8:00 p.m.
Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, Pacific Ballroom 18-19
Sunday, Sept. 23
Co-sponsored Symposium: Management of Complex PCI Patients: Award-winning Case Presentations
6:30–8:00 a.m. | Room 23 B-C
Chair: David Wohns, M.D.
Faculty: Amir Kaki, M.D.; George Vetrovec, M.D.
Interactive Training Pavilion: Hemodynamic Support & Patient Management
Saturday, Sept. 22 and Sunday, Sept. 23
- Large Bore Access & Closure
- Faculty: Amir Kaki, M.D.; James McCabe, M.D.; Raj Tayal, M.D.
- Cardiogenic Shock (NCSI)
- Faculty: Navin Kapur, M.D.; William O’Neill, M.D.; Brian Porvin, M.D.
- TEACH Intro
- Faculty: Dan Burkoff, M.D.; Reshad Garan, M.D.; John Lasala, M.D.; Salvatore Mannino, M.D.; Perwaiz Meraj, M.D.; Lynn Morris, M.D.; Raj Patel, M.D.; Brian Porvin, M.D.
- Complex Protected PCI
- Faculty: Hiram Bezerra, M.D.; Dan Burkoff, M.D.; Mauricio Cohen, M.D.; Colin Hirst, M.D.; Paul Mahoney, M.D.; Duane Pinto, M.D.; Uma Rangasetty, M.D.; Adhir Shroff, M.D.
For more information: www.abiomed.com
- Dangas, G. et al. Am. Journ of Cardiol. 2014 Jan 15;113(2):222-8.
- Abiomed data on file.
- O'Neill, W. et al. Circulation. 2012 Oct 2;126(14):1717-27.