January 4, 2018 — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a Class I recall of Sterilmed’s Agilis Steerable Introducer Sheath’s hemostatic valve that prevents blood from flowing back through the valve, warning that it may fail due to an improper seal of the sheath hub. The agency said improper seals can allow blood to leak through the hub, cause the cap to fall off during the procedure, or can create a difference in pressure that allows air into the circulatory system (air embolism). The FDA warned the use of affected products may cause serious health consequences for patients, including death.
Affected model numbers and lot numbers include STJ408309, STJ408310, STJG408324 in all product lots. The recall affects devices manufactured and distributed between Jan. 1, 2017 and May 5, 2017.
The Agilis Steerable Introducer Sheath is used to insert and position various cardiovascular catheters in the heart, including on the left side of the heart through the wall of tissue that separates the right and left chambers of the heart (interatrial septum).
The improper seal occurs when not enough glue is used to reattach the cap to the hub after reprocessing. Too much glue can also block the sheath valve and make the device unusable, according to the FDA.
- Sterilmed has provided the following instructions for healthcare facilities and providers:
- Examine inventory immediately to determine if you have this product;
- Do not use any of the affected products, and return any unused product to the company;
- Share this information with the appropriate staff at your facility; and
- Continue to monitor patients treated with the Sterilmed Reprocessed Agilis Steerable Introducer Sheath as normal.
Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:
- Complete and submit the report online: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report
- Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178
For more information: www.sterilmed.com