November 19, 2019 — Here is a list of the key late-breaking clinical study presentations and links to the results at the 2019 American Heart Association (AHA) annual meeting, Nov. 16-18, 2019, in Philadelphia. Find details on the AHA Scientific-Sessions.
AHA Late Breaking Science I – Outside the Box: New Approaches to CVD Risk Reduction
• DAPA-HF: The Dapagliflozin and Prevention of Adverse-outcomes in Heart Failure Trial: Results in Nondiabetic Patients. Presented by John J. V. McMurray, BHF Cardiovascular Reseach Centre, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
• Safety and Efficacy of Inclisiran in Patients With ASCVD and Elevated LDL Cholesterol - Results From the Phase 3 ORION-10 Trial. Presented by R. Scott Wright, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
• The COLchicine Cardiovascular Outcomes Trial (COLCOT). Presented by Jean-Claude Tardif | Montreal Heart Institute, Montreal, QC, Canada
• BETonMACE Looks at BET Protein Inhibition ACS and Diabetes. Presented by Kausik K. Ray, Imperial College of London, London, United Kingdom.
AHA's in-depth BETonMACE page.
AHA Late Breaking Science II – Results for the Ischemia Trials: To Intervene or Not to Intervene
• ISCHEMIA - International Study of Comparative Health Effectiveness With Medical and Invasive Approaches: Primary Report of Clinical Outcomes. Presented by Judith S. Hochman, NYU School of Medicine, New York, on behalf of the ISCHEMIA Research Group.
• International Study of Comparative Health Effectiveness With Medical and Invasive Approaches- Chronic Kidney Disease (ISCHEMIA-CKD): Primary Results of Clinical Outcomes. Presented by Sripal Bangalore, New York University School of Medicine, New York, N.Y. on behalf of the ISCHEMIA-CKD Research Group
AHA's in-depth ISCHEMIA-CKD page
AHA Late Breaking Science III — Controversies in Contemporary Management of Aortic Stenosis (AS)
• Global Comparison of a Rivaroxaban-Based Antithrombotic Strategy versus an Antiplatelet-Based Strategy After Transcathether Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) to Optimize Clinical Outcomes (GALILEO) Trial: Primary Results. Presented by George Dangas, M.D., Mount Sinai Hospital, New York.
• Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing a Rivaroxaban-Based Strategy With an Antiplatelet-Based Strategy for the Prevention of Subclinical Leaflet Thrombosis in Transcatheter Aortic Valves (GALILEO-4D). Presented by Ole De Backer, Rigshospitalet University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark.
• Balloon-Expandable versus Self-Expandable TAVR on Paravalvular Regurgitation and 2-Year Mortality: A Propensity-Matched Comparison From the FRANCE-TAVI Registry. Presented by Eric Van Belle, Institute Coeur Poumon - CHU Lille, Lille, France
• RECOVERY: Early Surgery versus Conventional Management for Asymptomatic Severe Aortic Stenosis. Presented by Duk-Hyun Kang, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
AHA Late Breaking Science IV – State of the Art Interventional Management for ACS Patients
• TWILIGHT-ACS: Ticagrelor with Aspirin or Alone in High-Risk Bleeding Patients after Coronary Intervention for Acute Coronary Syndrome. Presented by Usman Baber, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York.
• Colchicine in Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Presented by Binita Shah, VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, NYU School of Medicine.
• OCT COMPLETE: Non-culprit Lesion Plaque Morphology in Patients with ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: Substudy from the Complete Trial using Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT). Presented by Natalia Pinilla Echeverri, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
• COACT: One Year Outcomes of Coronary Angiography After Cardiac Arrest. Presented by Jorrit Lemkes, Amsterdam University Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
• Mortality and Bleeding Among Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction Complicated by Cardiogenic Shock Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention With Impella vs Intra-Aortic Balloon Pump (IABP). Presented by Sanket Dhruva, M.D., UCSF School of Medicine, San Francisco.
• Comparative Effectiveness and Costs of Impella versus Intra-aortic Balloon Pump (IABP) in the United States. Presented by Amit P. Amin, M.D., Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Mo.
AHA Late Breaking Science V – Challenges in Heart Failure Management
• FUEL - Results From the Pediatric Heart Network’s Fontan Udenafil Exercise Longitudinal Trial. Presented by David J. Goldberg, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia.
• Effect of Treatment According to Age in the Dapagliflozin and Prevention of Adverse-Outcomes in Heart Failure Trial (DAPA-HF). Presented by Felipe Martinez, Insto Damic, Cordoba, Argentina.
• Effect of treatment measured by the Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire (KCCQ) in the Dapagliflozin and Prevention of Adverse-Outcomes in Heart Failure. Presented by John J. McMurray, BHF Cardiovascular Research Centre, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
• PARAGON-HF: LBCT: Effects of Sacubitril/Valsartan in Women Compared to Men With Heart Failure and Preserved Ejection Fraction. Presented by John J. McMurray, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom.
• PARAGON-HF Secondary Analysis: Effect of Sacubitril/Valsartan Across the Spectrum of Ejection Fraction in Heart Failure. Presented by Scott D. Solomon, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
AHA Late Breaking Science VI – New Frontiers in Lipid Therapy
• EVAPORATE: Effect of Icosapent Ethyl on Progression of Coronary Atherosclerosis in Patients With Elevated Triglycerides (200-499 mg/dl) on Statin Therapy. Presented by Matthew J. Budoff, M.D., Lundquist Institute and UCLA School of Medicine, Torrance, Calif.
• Safety and Efficacy of Inclisiran in Patients With Heterozygous Familial Hypercholesterolemia - Results From the Phase 3 ORION-9 Trial. Presented by Frederick J. Raal, Johannesburg Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa.
• RNA Interference Targeting Apolipoprotein C-III Results in Deep and Prolonged Reductions in Plasma Triglycerides. Presented by Christie M. Ballantyne, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas.
• RNA Interference Targeting Hepatic Angiopoietin-Like Protein 3 Results in Prolonged Reductions in Plasma Triglycerides and LDL-C in Human Subjects. Presented by Gerald F. Watts, University of Western Australia, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia.
• Benefit of a Target LDL Cholesterol Less Than 70 mg/dl After an Ischemic Stroke of Atherosclerotic Origin, the Treat Stroke to Target Trial Results. Presented by Pierre Amarenco, Paris University, Paris, France.
Other Key Studies Presented at AHA 2019:
E-Cigarettes May Be More Harmful to Heart Health Than Tobacco
Key Heart Failure Takeaways at AHA 2019
Positive Results for SIRONA First-in-Human Trial of the Cordella PA Pressure Sensor System
Investigational Drug Vericiguat Reduced the Risk of Heart Failure Hospitalization in VICTORIA Trial
Many Adults with Heart Failure at Higher Risk of Death after Surgery
New Algorithms in Medtronic Micra Pacemaker May Improve Synchrony and Cardiac Function in AV Block
ASCVD Patients Face Barriers Reaching Guideline-Recommended Cholesterol Goals
Cannabis May be Linked to Strokes and Heart Rhythm Disturbances in Young People
Too Much Ultra Processed Food Linked to Lower Heart Health
Heart Disease and Cancer Risk May be Linked
Other Late-breaking Clinical Trials in 2019:
American Heart Association 2018 Late-breaking Trials
ACC 2019 Late-breaking Presentations
Late-breaking Interventional Cardiology Presentations at SCAI 2019
American Heart Association 2018 Late-breaking Trials
TCT 2019 Late-breaking Presentations
VIVA 2019 Late-breaking Clinical Trials