The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans at the American Heart Association’s (AHA) 2018 Scientific Sessions this week. Chicago. It provides evidence-based recommendations for youth ages three through 17 and adults to safely get the physical activity and was a major topic of discussion. Pictured here is Russel Pate, Ph.D., Univerity Of South Carolina, chair of the National Physical Activity Plan Alliance, presenting on the main stage at AHA, with details relat d to the new guidelines.
Answers to Critical Questions in Cardiovascular Prevention
Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 2-3:15 p.m. — Where: Main Event I
• VITAL — The VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL: Principal Results for Vitamin D and Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation in the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer
• REDUCE-IT — The Primary Results of the REDUCE-IT Trial, Vascepa and Statins Significantly Reduce Cardiovascular Events
• VIDEO: REDUCE-IT Trial Shows New Therapy Option for Patients With Uncontrolled Triglycerides — Interview with study PI Deepak L. Bhatt, M.D
• EWTOPIA75 — Ezetimibe in Prevention of Cerebro- and Cardiovascular Events in Middle- to High-risk, Elderly (75 Years Old or Over) Patients With Elevated LDL-cholesterol: A Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled, Open-label Trial
• Cost-Effectiveness of Alirocumab Based on Evidence from a Large Multinational Outcome Trial: the ODYSSEY OUTCOMES Economics Study
Novel Approaches to Cardiovascular Prevention
Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 3:45-5 p.m. — Main Event I
• DECLARE–TIMI 58 — The Dapagliflozin Effect on Cardiovascular Events (DECLARE)-TIMI 58 Trial, Reduces Heart Failure Hospitalization, Cardiovascular Death for Type 2 Diabetes
• CIRT — The Cardiovascular Inflammation Reduction Trial (CIRT): Low Dose Methotrexate for the Prevention of Atherosclerotic Event
• AKCEA — Safety and Efficacy of AKCEA-APO(a)-LRx to Lower Lipoprotein(a) Levels in Patients with Established Cardiovascular Disease: A Phase 2 Dose-Ranging Trial
• Yoga-CaRe — Effectiveness Of A Yoga-based Cardiac Rehabilitation (yoga-care) Program: A Multi-centre Randomised Controlled Trial Of 4,014 Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction From India
Harnessing Technology and Improving Systems for Global Health
Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, 5:30–6:45 p.m. — Main Event II (s100)
• BRIDGE CV PREVENTION — Effects of a Multifaceted Intervention to Narrow the Evidence-Based Gap in the Treatment of High Cardiovascular Risk Patients: the BRIDGE CV Prevention Cluster Randomized Trial
• BRIDGE Stroke — An International Cluster Randomized Quality-improvement Trial to Increase the Adherence to Evidence-based Therapies for Acute Ischemic Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack Patients - the Bridge Stroke Trial
• AF-ALERT — Alert-Based Computerized Decision Support to Increase Anticoagulation Prescription Prevents Stroke and Myocardial Infarction in High-Risk Hospitalized Patients With Atrial Fibrillation: A Randomized, Controlled Trial
• IMPACT-AF — Efficacy of Electronic Clinical Decision Support in Atrial Fibrillation: Results of the Integrated Management Program Advancing Community Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation
• mWellcare — Effectiveness of mHealth based Decision Support System for Integrated Management of Chronic Conditions in Primary Care: The mWellcare Trial
Preserving Brain & Heart in Acute Care Cardiology
Sunday, Nov. 11, 2018, 9–10:15 a.m. — Main Event I
• Neuroprotect Post-CA Trial — Early Goal-directed Hemodynamic Optimization in Comatose Survivors After Out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest: The Neuroprotect Trial
• T-TIME — A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel Group, Multicenter Clinical Trial of Low-Dose Adjunctive Alteplase During Primary PCI (T-TIME)
• EARLY — Optimal Timing of Intervention in Non ST-elevation Acute Coronary Syndromes Without Pretreatment
• Door to Unload (DTU) Trial — Mechanically Unloading the Left Ventricular and Delaying Reperfusion in Patients with Anterior ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: The Door to Unload Pilot Trial — VIDEO interview with PI Nevin Kapur, M.D.
Hot News in Heart Failure
Nov. 11, 2018, 10:45 a.m.–12 p.m. — Main Event I
• PIONEER-HF Trial — Angiotensin Receptor-Neprilysin Inhibition in Patients Hospitalized With Acute Decompensated Heart Failure: Primary Results of the PIONEER-HF Randomized Controlled Trial
• TRED-HF — Withdrawal of Pharmacological Heart Failure Therapy in Recovered Dilated Cardiomyopathy - A Randomized Controlled Trial (TRED-HF)
• COMMANDER HF - Effects of Rivaroxaban on Thrombotic Events in Heart Failure Patients with Coronary Disease and Sinus Rhythm
• The EMPA-Heart Trial — EMPA-HEART Cardiolink-6 Trial: A Randomized Trial Evaluating The Effect Of Empagliflozin On Left Ventricular Structure, Function And Biomarkers In People With Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) And Coronary Heart Disease
• Cardiac Remodeling Following Ligation of Arteriovenous Fistula in Stable Renal Transplant Recipients: A Randomized Controlled Study
Late-breaking Science in Coronary Revascularization
Sunday, November 11, 2018, 5:30-6:45 p.m. — Main Event II (s100)
• REGROUP — Endoscopic Vein Harvest for Coronary Bypass Surgery in a Randomized Multicenter Trial With Long-Term Follow-up
• FREEDOM Follow-On Study — Long-term Survival following Multivessel Revascularization in Patients with Diabetes: the FREEDOM Follow-On Study
• TiCAB — A Randomized, Double-blind Study Of Ticagrelor Versus Aspirin In Patients Undergoing Coronary Bypass Surgery
• ISAR TEST 4 — Ten-Year Clinical Outcomes After Coronary Drug-Eluting Stents with Biodegradable or Permanent Polymer Coating: Results from the Randomized ISAR-TEST 4 Trial
• Intramyocardial Injection of Mesenchymal Precursor Cells in Left Ventricular Assist Device Recipients: Impact on Myocardial Recovery and Morbidity
Other AHA News and Video:
VIDEO: New Cholesterol Guidelines Support CT Calcium Scoring for Risk Assessment — Interview with Matthew Budoff, M.D.
VIDEO: Reducing Hypertension Among African-Americans — Interview with Kim Allan Williams, Sr., M.D.
VIDEO: Predictors and Outcomes of Reverse Remodeling in Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction — Interview with James Januzzi, M.D.
VIDEO: Cryoballoon Ablation Best Practice Guidelines — Interview with Wilber Su, M.D.
VIDEO: Use of Artificial Intelligence To Speed Cardiac Clinical Research — Interview with James Januzzi, M.D.
Other Late-breaking Cardiology Trials in 2018:
#AHA #AHA2018 #AHA18