The following are the late-breaking clinical trial presentations presented at the 2016 American College of Cardiology (ACC) meeting April 2-4 in Chicago. The trials below were chosen based on the importance of their contribution to cardiovascular science. Click on the highlighted text to see the articles related to each presentation.
Joint ACC/JACC Late-Breaking Clinical Trials
April 2, 2016, 9 a.m., Main Tent (North Hall B1)
• Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement Compared with Surgery in Intermediate Risk Patients with Aortic Stenosis: Final Results from the Randomized Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valves (PARTNER 2A) Study. Presenter: Craig Smith. 9:05 - 9:17 am
Watch video interview on the PARTNER 2 outcomes
• Blood Pressure Lowering in People at Moderate Risk. The HOPE-3 Trial. Presenter: Eva M. Lon. 9:27 - 9:37 a.m.
• Effects of Combined Lipid and BP-lowering on Cardiovascular Disease in a Moderate Risk Global Primary Prevention Population. Presenter: Salim Yusuf. 9:37 - 9:47 a.m.
Joint ACC/Journal of the American Medical Association Late-Breaking Clinical Trials
April 3, 2016, 8 a.m., Main Tent (North Hall B1)
• Impact of the Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein Inhibitor Evacetrapib on Cardiovascular Events: Results of the ACCELERATE trial. Presenter: Stephen J. Nicholls. 8 - 8:10 a.m.
• Comparison of PCSK9 Inhibitor Evolocumab Versus Ezetimibe in Statin-intolerant Patients: The Goal Achievement After Utilizing an Anti-PCSK9 Antibody in Statin Intolerant Subjects 3 (GAUSS-3) Trial. Presenter: Steven E. Nissen. 8:15 - 8:25 a.m.
• Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol, Familial Hypercholesterolemia Mutation Status and Risk for Coronary Artery Disease. Presenter: Amit V. Khera. 8:30 - 8:40 a.m.
• Reproducible Impact of a Global Mobile Health (mHealth) Mass-Participation Physical Activity Intervention on Step Count, Sitting Behavior and Weight: the Stepathlon Cardiovascular Health Study. Presenter: Anand Ganesan. 8:45 - 8:55 a.m.
• Involving Patients with Low Risk Chest Pain in Discharge Decisions: A Multicenter Trial. Presenter: Erik P. Hess. 9- 9:10 a.m.
Joint American College of Cardiology/TCT Late-Breaking Clinical Trials
April 3, 2016:
• The Third DANish Study of Optimal Acute Treatment of Patients with ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: DEFERred stent implantation in connection with primary PCI. Presenter: Henning Kelbæk. 10:45 - 10:55 a.m.
• The Third DANish Study of Optimal Acute Treatment of Patients with ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: iPOSTconditioning during primary PCI. Presenter: Thomas Engstrøm. 11 - 11:10 a.m.
• Effect Of Early Administration Of Intravenous Beta Blockers In Patients With ST-elevation Myocardial Infarction Before Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. The Early-BAMI trial. Presenter: V. Roolvink. 11:15 - 11:25 a.m.
• Sapien 3 Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement versus Surgery in Intermediate-Risk Patients with Severe Aortic Stenosis: A Propensity-Matched Comparison of One-Year Outcomes. Presenter: Vinod H. Thourani. 11:30 - 11:40 a.m.
Watch a video interview with Thourani at ACC.16
• Relationship Between Procedure Volume and Outcome for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement in U.S. Clinical Practice: Insights from the STS/ACC TVT Registry. Presenter: John D. Carroll. 11:45 - 11:55 a.m.
Joint ACC/New England Journal of Medicine Late-Breaking Clinical Trials
April 4, 2016, 8 a.m., Main Tent (North Hall B1)
• Antiarrhythmic Drugs for Shock-Refractory Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest: The Resuscitation Outcomes Consortium Amiodarone, Lidocaine or Placebo Study. Presenter: Peter J. Kudenchuk. 8- 8:10 a.m.
• Largest Randomized Trial Demonstrates an Effective Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: the FIRE AND ICE Trial (NCT01490814). Presenter: Karl-Heinz Kuck. 8:15 - 8:25 a.m.
• A Randomized Trial of Rate Control Versus Rhythm Control for Atrial Fibrillation after Cardiac Surgery. Presenter: A. Marc Gillinov. 8:30 - 8:40 a.m.
• The Losmapimod To Inhibit P38 MAP Kinase As a Therapeutic Target And Modify Outcomes After An Acute Coronary Syndrome (LATITUDE-TIMI 60) Trial: Primary Results Of Part A. Presenter: Michelle L. O'Donoghue. 8:45 - 8:55 a.m.
• CMX-2043 for Prevention of Contrast Induced Acute Kidney Injury: The Primary Results of the CARIN Trial. Presenter: Deepak L. Bhatt. 9 - 9:10 a.m.
Late-Breaking Clinical Trials
April 4, 2016, 10:45 a.m., Main Tent (North Hall B1)
• Direct Renin-inhibition With Aliskiren Alone And In Combination With Enalapril, Compared With Enalapril, In Heart Failure (the ATMOSPHERE Trial). Presenter: John J. V. McMurray. 10:45 - 10:55 a.m.
• Effect of Ularitide on Short- and Long-Term Clinical Course of Patients with Acutely Decompensated Heart Failure: Primary Results of the TRUE-AHF Trial. Presenter: Milton Packer. 11 - 11:10 a.m.
• The Final Results of the IxCell-DCM Stem Cell Trial: Transendocardial Injection of Ixmyelocel-T in Patients with Ischemic Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Presenter: Timothy D. Henry. 11:15 - 11:25 a.m.
Additional article on IxCell-DCM stem cell therapy
• The Effect of Vagal Nerve Stimulation in Heart Failure: Primary Results of the INcrease Of VAgal TonE in chronic Heart Failure (INOVATE-HF) Trial. Presenter: Michael Robert Gold. 11:30 - 11:40 a.m.
• Noninvasive Lung IMPEDANCE-Guided Pre-emptive Treatment in Chronic Heart Failure Patients: a Randomized Controlled Trial (IMPEDANCE-HF trial). Presenter: Michael Shochat. 11:45 - 11:55 a.m.
Late-Breaking Clinical Trials: Deep Dive II
April 4, 2016, 12:30 - 1:45 p.m. Room S406a
Session will focus on key trial data from some of the top studies presented.