The following are the late-breaking science presentation sessions at the 2021 American Heart Association (AHA) 2021 annual meeting. These late-breaking sessions are highlighted as some of the latest science that will likely impact cardiovascular care.
Saturday, November 13, 2021
Valves, Veins and New Viewpoints in Cardiothoracic Surgery
• AVATAR - Aortic Valve Replacement versus Watchful Waiting in Asymptomatic Severe Aortic Stenosis: The Avatar Trial. Presented by Marko Banovic, M.D., University Clinical Ctr of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia.
• CTCR-MVS - Evaluating the Benefit of Concomitant Tricuspid Repair During Mitral Valve Surgery. Presented by James S. Gammie, M.D., Johns Hopkins Heart and Vascular Institute, Baltimore.
• RAPID CABG - A Randomized Study Of Early Versus Standard Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery Among Patients Presenting With Acute Coronary Syndromes Treated With Ticagrelor. Presented by Derek Yiu Fai So, M.D., University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa Ontario, Canada.
• VEST - Efficacy and Safety of an External Support Device for Saphenous Vein Coronary Bypass Grafts: The VEST Trial. Presented by John Puskas, M.D., chair of cardiovascular surgery at Mount Sinai Morningside, N.Y.
Hypertension: Local, Global and Pandemic Impacts
• A Remotely Delivered Hypertension and Lipid Program In 10,000 Patients Across a Diverse Health Care Network. Presented by Alexander Blood, M.D., Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
• BP Track: Disruption in Blood Pressure Control with The COVID-19 Pandemic: A Study Of 24 U.S. Health Systems in The PCORNET Blood Pressure Control Laboratory. Presented by Alanna M. Chamberlain, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
• CRHCP (VILLAGE BP) - A Cluster Randomized Trial Of A Village Doctor-led Intervention On Blood Pressure Control: China Rural Hypertension Control Project. Presented by Jiang He, M.D., Tulane Univ, New Orleans, La.
Sunday, November 14, 2021
Prevention to Intervention in Atrial Arrhythmias
• CRAVE - The Coffee And Real-time Atrial And Ventricular Ectopy (CRAVE) Trial. Presented by Gregory M. Marcus, M.D., UCSF, San Francisco, CA.
• GIRAF - Dabigatran Versus Warfarin On Cognitive Outcomes In Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation: Results Of The GIRAF Trial. Presented by Bruno Caramelli, M.D., InCor, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
• PALACS: Posterior Left Pericardiotomy Reduces Post-operative Atrial Fibrillation After Cardiac Surgery. Presented by Mario F. Gaudino, M.D., Weill Cornell Medicine, New York, N.Y.
• AMAZE: Outcomes of Adjunctive Left Atrial Appendage Ligation Utilizing the Lariat Compared to Pulmonary Vein Antral Isolation Alone: The AMAZE Trial. Presented by David J. Wilber, Loyola University Chicago SSOM, Maywood, Ill.
Information Overload? Striving to Improve Cardiac Care Delivery Through Digital Health and Automated Data
• REVeAL-HF: Risk Evaluation and its Impact on Clinical Decision Making and Outcomes in Heart Failure: The REVeAL-HF Trial. Presented by Tariq Ahmad, M.D., Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn.
• FitBit Heart — Detection of Atrial Fibrillation in a Large Population using Wearable Devices: the Fitbit Heart Study. Presented by Steven A. Lubitz, M.D., Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
• I-STOP-AFib -Testing Individualized Triggers Of Atrial Fibrillation: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Presented by Gregory M. Marcus, M.D., UCSF, San Francisco.
Building on the Foundations of Treatment: Advances in Heart Failure Therapy
• EMPEROR-Preserved: Empagliflozin in Heart Failure with a Preserved Ejection Fraction ≥50% - Results from the EMPEROR-Preserved Clinical Trial. Presented by Stefan D. Anker, M.D., Charité Univsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany.
• CHIEF-HF - The Canagliflozin Impact On Health Status, Quality Of Life And Functional Status In Heart Failure (CHIEF-HF) Clinical Trial. Presented by John Spertus, M.D., St. Luke's Mid America Heart Institute, Kansas City, Mo.
• EMPULSE - Efficacy And Safety Of Empagliflozin In Hospitalized Heart Failure Patients: Main Results From The EMPULSE Trial. Presented by Adriaan A. Voors, Ph.D., University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands.
• DREAM-HF - Randomized Trial Of Targeted Transendocardial Delivery Of Mesenchymal Precursor Cells In High-risk Chronic Heart Failure Patients With Reduced Ejection Fraction. Presented by Emerson C. Perin, M.D., Texas Heart Institute, Houston.
Monday, November 15, 2021
Fish Oil and Cholesterol: Recipes for CVD Prevention?
• PREPARE-IT 2 - Icosapent Ethyl Versus Placebo In Outpatients With COVID-19: The Main Results Of PREPARE-IT 2. Presented by Rafael Diaz, Estudios Clínicos Latino América, Rosario, Argentina.
• Oral PCSK9 — The Clinical Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and LDL-Cholesterol Lowering Efficacy of MK-0616, an Oral PCSK9 Inhibitor. Presented by Douglas G. Johns, Ph.D., Merck & Co., Kenilworth, N.J.
New Drugs and New Drug Indications in Cardiovascular Disease
• ASCEND - Effects Of Aspirin On Dementia And Cognitive Impairment In The ASCEND Trial. Presented by Jane M. Armitage, MBBS, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom.
• ACTIV-4a: P2y12 Inhibitors in Noncritically Ill Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19. Presented by Jeffrey S. Berger, M.D., New York University School of Medicine, New York, N.Y.
• REVERSE-IT: Effect Of Bentracimab on Platelet Inhibition and Hemostasis in Ticagrelor Patients with Uncontrolled Hemorrhage or Requiring Urgent Surgery in the REVERSE-IT. Presented by Deepak Bhatt, M.D., Brigham and Women’s Hospital Heart and Vascular Center, Boston, Mass.
• AXIOMATIC-TKR: Milvexian for Prevention of Venous Thromboembolism after Elective Knee Arthroplasty: The AXIOMATIC-TKR Study. Presented by Jeffrey I. Weitz, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Other AHA 2021 News:
VIDEO: Novel Therapeutics for Lowering Lipids — Inteview with Susan Cheng, M.D.
VIDEO: Advances in Electrophysiology Technology — Interview with Christine Albert, M.D.
VIDEO: Use of Genetic Testing to Tailor Lipid Lowering Therapies — Inteview with Susan Cheng, M.D.